Petticoats – they are a way of life for me. I purchased my first petticoat in 2014 at the Glory Days Winter Vintage event and I haven’t looked back since! I bought an amazing vintage petticoat that has pastel rainbow all over the edges; it’s the softest petticoat I own and it is by FAR my favourite. Petticoats are great but how do you wash them? I had absolutely no idea when I first bought mine but I have now come up with a way that keeps my petticoats clean, soft and smelling fresh even in the middle of winter.
1. First select your petticoats – I like to clean mine two at a time so I have at last two clean on rotation.
2. Begin by filling a bathtub a couple on inches high with lukewarm water – you don’t want hot water. I then press my petticoats into the warm water until they are completely saturated.
3. I use Rocking Green laundry powder ( 2 tbsp) as a cleaner as I suffer from dermatitis and it’s free from SLS- and Parabens which helps me greatly. When washing petticoats you SHOULD hand wash them as they are super delicate!
4. Swirl your petticoats in the warm water with the laundry powder. You want to make sure they are really soaking up all of the cleaning goodness!
5. Leave to soak for a good 10-15 minutes then drain the bathtub and rinse the petticoats under a cold tap until they no longer feel soapy.
6. Now this is the hard part; you want to squeeze as much water out of your petticoats as you can. I usually give a full ten minutes for this process as you don’t want your petticoats to drag from all of the water weight.
7. I then leave to drip dry in my shower or alternatively outside with a washing tub underneath to catch all of the drips!
And that is how I clean my petticoats – let me know how you clean yours below! ❤