I have finally come up with my favourite chocolate cupcake base and I am super excited to share it with you! I reworked my favourite chocolate cake recipe so now my chocolate cupcakes taste just as good as my cakes – what a relief! And seeing as it’s Blogmas I thought I would put a festive spin on it by making it minty; I personally cannot stand mint but my boyfriend absolutely loved them. I love the base of this recipe with all of my heart; it’s dense but light with a strong chocolate taste and it also rises evenly – it.is.the.BEST. What are you baking at the moment? Have you made Christmas mince pies yet? I haven’t even eaten one of the supermarket ones yet – blasphemy!
Makes 12 cupcakes
1 cup plain white flour
1 cup white sugar
1/3 + 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant coffee
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water
300g margarine/butter softened
600g sifted icing sugar
4 drops of green food colouring
1 tsp of peppermint essence
12 pieces of Ghana Peppermint Whittaker’s
1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees celsius and line one 12 hole cupcake tray – put to one side.
2. In a medium sized bowl sift all of your dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, coffee, cocoa and salt!
3. At this point you should put your jug on for the boiling water!
4. In another bowl measure out the milk & oil add to the eggs and vanilla – pour this mix into your dry ingredients and mix! The consistency should be a little thick so add the 1/2 cup of boiling water and it should be runny; the runnier the mixture the denser the cupcake!
5. Pour the mixture into your cupcake tins until it reaches 2/3 of the cupcake case and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when pressed in the centre.
Beat all of the ingredients together until light and fluffy – you want your buttercream to be light, fluffy and voluminous! Pick out a piping nozzle – I went for a circle tip and fill your piping bag and begin to pipe! Take twelve Whittaker’s Ghana peppermint chocolate pieces and cut them in half; use these to top your cupcakes and if you want, add a few chocolate sprinkles! Enjoy!