I have been so weary of lemon curd for such a long time, maybe it’s because of the time where I completely split the curd to the point where it resembled lumpy orange porridge. Or could it be the time when I took it off the heat at least five minutes early resulting in a soup like texture; who knows? It could be either one of them. Well I have now seen the light after finding the perfect recipe; it’s simple, no thermometer necessary nor will you need any muslin. Four ingredients, ten minutes tops and foolproof (if you listen to me that is)!
Yield: 1- 1/2 cup
2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
80g chilled butter
zest & juice of 2 lemons
- Chop your chilled butter into a 1 cm dice and put a side.
- Zest & juice your lemons in a small bowl and mix your eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Once the mixture is smooth add the butter, zest and lemon juice. Begin stirring the mixture on a low heat; you will see the butter melt and the mixture will slowly thicken.
- Cook on a low heat to avoid the mixture curdling and going lumpy – good things take time! Slowly the curd will start to thicken, I take it off when it’s twice as thick as it’s original state. Photos below.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve and then into a sterilized jar!
Serve with scones or on top of/in your favourite cupcakes!